There is no telling when pediatric health emergencies happen. Fortunately, urgent care clinics, like ours here at Cornerstone Urgent Care Center in Rochester, New York, exist to provide patients of all ages prompt care for non-life-threatening health concerns that can’t wait. Now you know where to go when your child falls ill or gets injured outside of their primary care physician’s office hours.
Let’s take a look at some questions worth asking our healthcare providers about emergency medicine for children.
Questions to Ask Our Emergency Medicine Providers
As with talking to any other healthcare professional, asking our emergency healthcare providers the right questions is central to ensuring your child receives the best care possible. Make sure to always have a list of questions handy. You never know when you might need it.
The following are some you can include in your list:
- When will my child’s condition triaged and treated?
- What is the name of the emergency or urgent care doctor on site and in charge of my child’s care?
- What diagnostic tests will my child need?
- What are you doing to stabilize my child’s condition? What type of treatment will they need?
- Will my child require hospitalization? If so, for how long?
- If my child needs new medications, what are the doses, times, and routes of administration?
- Will you contact my child’s pediatrician with a report? Should I contact the pediatrician for a follow-up appointment and when?
- Does my child need a referral to a specialist, such as an orthopedic surgeon? Find out the doctor’s name and if the ER staff are to make the follow-up appointment, or if you must do that for your child.
- If your child has been treated and stabilized, and is due for discharge, ask what circumstances warrant a return visit. For instance, if your child has pneumonia, you can ask, “Should we return to the ER or call the primary care physician for a recheck?”
Urgent Care and Emergency Medicine Providers in Rochester, NY
At Cornerstone Urgent Care Center, we are staffed with highly qualified urgent care and emergency medicine providers who make every effort to provide our pediatric patients with top-notch, compassionate care when they need it most. We will do our best to attend to your child’s needs as quickly as possible or refer you to the appropriate facility if need be.
If your child has a life-threatening emergency, call 911, and get to the ER. For minor health concerns, come and visit us between 8 AM and 8 PM on weekdays, or 9 AM and 7 PM on weekends. You’ll never need an appointment. You may also call us at (585) 207-0088 to let us know you’re coming, or simply check in online. We look forward to serving you!