When you’re feeling under the weather or experiencing pain from an injury, seeking prompt medical attention is a good idea to maintain overall health. Urgent care clinics are designed to provide patients with timely treatment for a wide range of common illnesses.
Let’s explore some of the most common illness treatments offered at urgent care clinics so that you know what to expect when seeking urgent medical care.
Most Common Illness Treatments at Urgent Care Clinics
- Over-the-counter medications such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen for pain relief and fever reduction
- Antibiotics to treat bacterial infection
- Antivirals for viral infection
- Decongestants to alleviate nasal congestion
- Fluid replacement to prevent dehydration
- Topical treatments for skin infections or allergic reactions
Here are some of the most common illnesses treated at urgent care clinics:
Upper Respiratory Infections (Common Cold, Flu)
- Symptom Relief: Over-the-counter medications to alleviate symptoms such as congestion and fever, such as fever reducers and decongestants.
- Prescription Medications: Urgent care providers may prescribe antiviral medications to shorten the duration and severity of the flu.
- Influenza Testing: Urgent care clinics can perform rapid influenza tests to confirm or rule out the presence of the flu virus.
- Antibiotics: If the sinus infection is bacterial in nature, urgent care providers may prescribe antibiotics to eliminate the infection.
- Nasal Decongestants: Urgent care clinics may recommend over-the-counter or prescription nasal decongestants to reduce congestion and pressure in the sinuses.
- Nasal Irrigation: To help flush out mucus and relieve congestion, urgent care clinics may recommend nasal irrigation using a saline solution.
- Antibiotics: Strep throat is typically caused by a bacterial infection, and urgent care providers will prescribe antibiotics to eradicate the bacteria and prevent complications.
- Pain Relief: Over-the-counter pain relievers like ibuprofen or acetaminophen to manage the pain associated with strep throat.
- Saltwater Gargles: Urgent care providers may suggest gargling warm water with salt mixed in to help soothe a sore throat.
Urinary Tract Infections (UTIs)
- Urinalysis: Urgent care providers will typically perform a urinalysis to confirm the presence of a UTI.
- Antibiotics: Once a UTI is diagnosed, urgent care providers will prescribe an appropriate course of antibiotics.
- Symptom Relief: Urgent care providers may recommend over-the-counter pain relievers such as ibuprofen to alleviate pain or discomfort. They may also recommend drinking plenty of water to help flush out bacteria.
Gastrointestinal Issues (Stomach Flu, Food Poisoning, Gastroenteritis)
- Fluid Replacement: Urgent care clinics may administer intravenous fluids to prevent dehydration caused by vomiting or diarrhea. Rehydration is vital to restore electrolyte balance.
- Antiemetics: Urgent care providers may prescribe antiemetic medications to help alleviate nausea and vomiting.
- Dietary Recommendations: Providers may provide guidance on dietary adjustments, such as a bland diet, to ease digestion and promote recovery.
- Antihistamines: Urgent care providers may prescribe antihistamines to reduce the symptoms of allergic reactions such as hives.
- Corticosteroids: In some cases, they may prescribe corticosteroid creams to help reduce inflammation and alleviate allergy symptoms.
Sprains, Strains, and Fractures
- Initial Evaluation: Urgent care providers will perform a physical examination and assess the injury. They may also order imaging tests like X-rays.
- RICE Method: Rest, ice, compression, and elevation to minimize swelling and further damage.
- Immobilization: Urgent care providers may apply splints or braces to immobilize the injured area and promote healing.
- Pain Management: Urgent care clinics may recommend over-the-counter pain relievers such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen to manage pain.
- Referral and Follow-up: Urgent care providers may refer patients to orthopedic specialists or arrange follow-up appointments or ongoing care.
Please note that urgent care clinics are not equipped to handle life-threatening emergencies but are a valuable resource for the timely treatment of a wide range of common illnesses.
Urgent Care Clinic in Rochester, NY
For your urgent medical needs, visit us here at Cornerstone Urgent Care Center. We are a walk-in clinic providing the highest quality urgent care services in Rochester, New York. Our urgent care provider team consists of highly skilled and experienced emergency room physicians able to handle more common illness treatments for a wide range of illnesses and injuries than the average urgent care provider.
While we do not require an appointment, we do appreciate you letting us know you are on your way to our facility at 2968 Chili Avenue. Call us at (585) 207-0088 or use our online form to send us a message. We look forward to serving you!